Thursday, April 23, 2009

This has been happening more and more...

Image representing Twitter as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBase

Today's topic is, Twitter!!! Yes, that's right, you knew it was coming, yet another Twitter post. Ok, here's the thing: I have @ last count, almost 1500 followers, and more everyday. This is not to say that I'm a social media expert, because, one of the clues that you're not a social media expert is that you claim to be one. In cases like this, I always goto Sir William of Goldman's Roman Numeral I, which states simply, ”Nobody Knows Anything.“

More on that phenomenon later, quite possibly @ a different site, (How many do I write for? 5?) However, specifically, when it comes to Twitter, I have really just one pet peeve, that is simply this: people that are not following me, tend to Direct Message me.

Now, to me, that implies that you want to take the conversation private. Ok, that's fine, I don't need to broadcast to the world who's flirting with me, or more importantly, who I'm flirting with, however, for the conversation to be truly private, you have to be following me as well, so that I may DM you back.

Two things happen when this is not the case. As I use TweetDeck, I have a really quick way to click to reply back privately, however, I can't do it, because you're not following me. I don't find this out, until after I attempt to DM. I've wasted my time typing a response, and now, I'm less likely to respond to your query, as maybe I don't want to put my response in the public timeline.

Therefore, you've created a situation wherein you won't get a response. Unless I'm kind enough to take the additional time that it requires to change the D to an @. Which is really, not much of the time lately. As I stated, I've got about 1500 followers, which means I'm receiving roughly 20 tweets every 2 minutes. TweetDeck again :) It's more fun, and productive for me, to deal with those, than to deal with you, because you've decided to be well, for lack of a better word, rude.

This has been a public service announcement.

Please Retweet.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: