Wednesday, December 02, 2009

I'm One Full Technology Behind

  1. Now, this is the story of how I came to be in the industry, and when I say the industry, I'm of course referring to, the business. Which in this case is film. Sentence, or fragment? I'll let the grammar wienies decide, while I move on.

Having successfully buried the lead, here's the thing: Just as I'm about to get to the point where I have a movie that's about to be financed, they changed the game on me. Who are they, you ask? Or, maybe you didn't. I don't really know, ultimately. The 'they' in this case, are them. Who are not us.

According to Guy Kawasaki, I need a list in my blog post for him to read it, so, here it is:
  1. Disney
  2. Paramount
  3. MGM
  4. Sony
  5. Warner Brothers
  6. Universal
  7. Twentieth Century Fox
These are the major movie studios, in no particular order of preference or market share. In case anyone was wondering where my loyalties lie. Or lay. They also have the capability of opening a movie on any particular weekend in a significant portion of the currently available 40,000 movies screens available domestically.

At least, that's the way it used to be, until I read this article, summarized thusly; They wish to be able to stream their movie directly to your desktop, phone, wireless device, whatever you mostly use to communicate online.

OK, that article is mostly about one guy stepping down at Disney, however, the new guy states the above, and there's more.... We already have YouTube, right? Read the other day that the average online video is less than ten minutes. I think that's because for the most part, you can't upload a longer video to the aforementioned site, unless you're famous. And as I've stated both here and elsewhere, not too many people know that I'm famous.

Millions of people have YouTube accounts, only about a fraction of those have a large enough following to the point where they get mentioned on G4TV on more than an occasional basis, and that's not to mention other sites like Funny Or Die, or Vimeo for that matter. And The Law!!! being what it is, most aren't site loyal, and post their vids anywhere they can. Which means simply, any selected video you view may be available whole or in part, on another channel or website.

I see a day where we'll have this giant pipe coming into our house, and the big screen, just like in Back to the Future II, wherein people won't be entertained unless they have multiple movies, TV shows (if they still exist), videos etc. all running at the same time.

I'm thinking by then, I'll have at least two or three produced feature films, at which point you may stream them to your desktop big screen viewing device while you're actually paying attention to iJustine getting no Statusfaction.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Oh, please, retweet.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: